The GSC provides partial funding for graduate students to present their work at national and international conferences, attend workshops, or perform other research-related activities. Please note that all funding will come in the form of reimbursement, so save your receipts!
Here is the quick guide to apply for and receive funding:
- 1.) Determine if you are eligible to receive funding
- 2.) Fill out a proper application form (docx version) and upload the pdf version of the form below .
- 3.) Submit the application before the appropriate deadlines.
- 4.) Turn in receipts for reimbursement
- 5.) Meet supplemental requirements
For complete rules and eligibility, see Article VIII of the GSC Constitution and Bylaws (.docx version). If more than one person from the same GSO is attending the same conference/workshop, they must submit a combined application in a single packet. Only one application is allowed per conference or research trip per GSO. Funding is provided on a first come, first serve basis, and no single GSO can obtain more than 30% of the total available funds for the year.
Approval of your application is determined by the Finance Committee. The Finance Committee is a committee of your peers set up to judge whether or not your funding application meets the requirements and follows the funding laws set in the GSC bylaws. If you are interested in participating as a member of the Finance Committee, please contact Raksha Gala.
Note: ASNMSU can also provide partial funding for your conference or meeting. For more information about this please contact one of the graduate student senators and check the ASNMSU policies here. The remainder of this webpage will discuss funding requirements for GSC only (not ASNMSU).
- HOW OFTEN CAN I GET FUNDING?
- Individuals may receive funding once per semester.
- HOW MUCH FUNDING IS AVAILABLE?
- An individual may be reimbursed up to $400
- A group may be reimbursed up to $600 for two people, $800 for three people, and $1000 for four or more people ($200+$200/person maximum of $1000)
Individuals may receive funding once per semester. To be eligible for GSC funding, each person on the funding application must:
- be a member of a chartered GSO that has voted at a GSC Finance Committee Meeting
- be at least a half time graduate student at the time of the travel
- attend two (2) in any combination of GSC General Meetings or GSC Finance Committee Meetings
- Students applying for funding from the GSC are encouraged to attend the Finance committee meeting at which their application will be reviewed in case the committee has questions about the application.
- perform five (5) hours of community service within one year prior to the application for funding.
Please assemble a packet with the following items, in this order:
(Packet link can be found in the quick guide listed above)
- A completed Funding Checklist with applicant’s initials indicating inclusion of all required documents.
- A cover letter explaining when and where you are traveling, why you are attending this conference, and how the money will be used (eg. airfare, hotel, etc.) Details are great!.
- GSC Funding Form– THIS FORM MUST BE TYPED… or very neatly written.
- ASNMSU Community Service Projects forms showing that each individual on the funding request has completed five (5) hours of community service. For the purposes of the GSC, community service hours are valid for one (1) year after the community service has taken place.
- A letter of recommendation from your adviser stating that you are attending this conference.
- If presenting research at a conference, an official conference program or some equivalent proof of attendance and presentation.
- Copies of receipts or estimates of everything for which you are requesting funding. This will include registrations fees, airfare, ground transportation, and hotel bills. The GSC can only reimburse for expenses with receipts paid for by graduate students, not their advisers, so use your own credit/debit card. If you do not have a receipt, estimate it. Be sure to explain clearly in your cover letter how the money will be used.
Please turn in your completed application packets by the appropriate deadline to be considered for funding! Complete applications should be turned in to Raksha Gala.
- in electronic form by email
- in paper form at a GSC meeting
Did your conference or meeting occur:
- During the summer or winter holiday? The deadline is the second meeting of the following semester.
- During the academic year? The deadline is the first meeting after the completion of the trip OR the second to last meeting of the semester, whichever occurs first.
More information on meeting times is available here.
To receive funds you must present copies of your receipts along with a completed Reimbursement Intake Sheet to the ASNMSU Comptroller (email@example.com) or the ASNMSU financial adviser, Debbie Peel, at the ASNMSU offices in Corbett Student Center after you return from your trip. You must have receipts to be reimbursed.
- Keep a copy of your application for your own records.
- Make sure you have attended both of your GSC and/or Financial Committee meetings. You will not get reimbursed if you have not done this.
- If you receive funds you must present at GRAS. If you do not, you will be ineligible for future funding.
If you have any questions or if you would like more information about funding, contact the GSC Treasurer, Raksha Gala