Representing and supporting the research, innovations, and teaching of graduate students at New Mexico State University.
Vision/Plan-Goals over the next 3-5 years (and what we can/will do to achieve them)
- Work to bring Graduate Students from all disciplines together in a cohesive whole via the Graduate Student Council.
- Work to open better lines of communication between Graduate Students and administrators. Open formal and informal lines of inquiry to the Graduate School.
- Monthly meetings are now a standard with Dean Cifuentes of the Graduate School. Any graduate students is welcome to attend, and should treat these meetings as an open forum.
- Stabilize Health Insurance changes for International Students.
- The health insurance plan has been renewed for another year.
- Follow up on conversations about reinstating health insurance for all Graduate Students.
- In Fall 2019, the GSC appointed two student representatives to a health insurance task force which is currently working on researching affordable plans for all graduate students.
- Ensure better year-to-year GSC executive transitions by creating comprehensive handbooks for each position.
- Living document handbooks are currently in progress for each position.
- Re-open inquiries to budget and long-term feasibility of Graduate Funding and Graduate Assistant Tuition Remediation.
- The Legislative Task Force, consisting of 5 GSC-appointed members have been pushing for a definitive answer regarding tuition remission, and pressuring the University to make substantive changes regarding funding policies.
- Clarify payroll policies for Graduate Students, requirements, standards, and pay scales, as well as seasonal employment policies.
- The Graduate School has confirmed that Graduate Assistants are state employees answerable to HR, and that published pay scales are lower limits that departments can choose to exceed. There is currently no defined summer employment policy.
- Tuition waiver stipends for graduate students (on hold via Fee Review Board)
- Supporting the research mission of the university through securing more funds for graduate student research and research related travel
- Continue to ensure that GSO’s re-charter as a graduate organization
- Promoting formal and social networking and community amongst graduate students at NMSU
- Continue having Gradulicious and GRAS and potentially incorporate other events
- To participate as a voting member of the GSC you must be a member of a Graduate Student Organization (GSO).
- You can create or re-charter your GSO here.
- GSC Constitution and Bylaws (.docx version). Modified 11 April, 2017
The GSC Executives are elected annually at the end of the spring semester during a general meeting of the GSC. Beginning in the Fall of 2015, each of the Executive positions became a five (5) hour GA position paid by the graduate school. Graduate students interested in serving as a GSC Executive are encouraged to read the GSC Constitution and Bylaws (.docx version). and contact the current GSC Executives for details about the responsibilities of each position.
- President: Jonathan Ortiz, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice President: Ashlerose Francia, email@example.com
- Secretary: Ashley Wu, GSCSecretary@nmsu.edu
- Treasurer: Angela-Faith Thomas, firstname.lastname@example.org
- VP of Activities: , @nmsu.edu
- Webmaster: Miguel Guirao, email@example.com
Graduate senators represent graduate students in Associated Stuents of NMSU (ASNMSU). We currently have six (6) seats in the ASNMSU senate, half of which are up for election each fall and spring. The graduate senators can be reached as a group by email or individually:
- Ehtesham Shareef, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gopal Tamang, email@example.com
- Omid Jafari, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shravya Dharba, email@example.com
- Zahra Ghodsi Zadeh, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ehtesham Shareef, email@example.com
Currently pursuing his Ph.D. in RF Microelectronics at the Klipsch School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ehtesham Shareef is a Senior Senator at ASNMSU representing the Graduate School. He has been a senator for 3 years, during which he has worked towards aiding numerous graduate students with research travel. Improving student life at NMSU has always been a priority for Senator Shareef and he continues to be diligent towards his duties. Students can always text him on 469-704-4386.
Gopal Tamang, firstname.lastname@example.org
Gopal Tamang is pursuing his PhD in Curriculum and Instruction concentrating on Language Literacy and Culture. Being guided by the value of diversity and social justice, Senator Tamang is ever ready to serve fellow NMSU students with pride, transparency and integrity to bring about rewarding college experience for all. He can be reached at email@example.com.
Omid Jafari, firstname.lastname@example.org
Omid Jafari is pursuing his Ph.D. in Computer Science. He has been a Graduate Senator since the Graduate Student Council appointed him to this position in Fall 2019. Since then, he has helped many students get reimbursements for their research travels. He has been helping the Iranian Student Organization from the day he began his studies, and currently, he is serving as the Vice-President of ISO. Omid chose this position with the goal of dedicating all his free time to serve the students he is representing and solving their student life issues. Students can always reach him at email@example.com and expect a quick response.
Shravya Dharba, firstname.lastname@example.org
Zahra Ghodsi Zadeh, email@example.com